This position directs all activity in the Branded and Unbranded Retail Fuels Business Unit. The GM, Retail Fuels reports to the VP, Fuels Group. Having profit and loss responsibilities, this position is responsible for sales, operations, marketing, and team member development in the Retail Fuels West Business Unit. The GM is responsible for team design, team member performance, and the business unit’s Customer Net Promoter Score.
- Direct short-term and long-range planning and budget development in alignment with corporate strategy and goals
- Collaborate with Director of Finance to establish a five-year forecast for the business unit which is approved by the Company’s Executive Team
- Establish the performance goals, allocate resources, and assess policies for the company’s branded and unbranded Retail Fuels business
- Collaborate with the Fuels Group Controller to effectively maintain the business unit’s Standard Financial Package and Performance Reporting Model
- Translate business unit plans into team and team member initiatives
- Collaborate with the Commercial Group, Supply and Logistics and Common Carrier to ensure performance standards are met for the following processes: fuel delivery, price quoting, invoicing, and customer collections
- Lead project management team to ensure conversions are completed on time and on budget
- Work with contract team to ensure new business deals are financially sound and well secured
- Effectively manage sales volumes, product margins, oil company promotions, loyalty programs and mystery shops
- Develop, establish, and coordinate execution of branded and unbranded fuel marketing efforts
- Coordinate with the company’s marketing department to determine corporate positioning, market and competitive analysis, customer segment selection and penetration plans, and related product positioning
- Coordinate with the company’s marketing department to develop marketing communications including branding, public relations and advertising
- Direct new business sales efforts that ensure that volume and gross profit growth targets are consistently obtained.
- Assist VP in managing key supplier relationships with oil company management and other vendors
- Oversee planning and implementation of annual Dealer Summit
- Coordinate with division leadership to identify and develop strategic alliances, channel partners and programs
- Participate in market development, including participation in industry shows, supplier conferences, analyst meetings, and other designated meetings
- Drive growth and performance with key suppliers in an effort to maintain positive relationships
- Provide role and goal clarity to each team member and support them in achievement of their goals
- Encourage team member career development in both industry specific and accounting/finance education
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment
- Groom sales team members to a level of sales proficiency with minimal sales management guidance and/or for future opportunities within the company utilizing a combination of joint sales calls, coaching calls, sales led calls, training and other development opportunities
- Minimum of BA/BS Degree in Business.
- At least 10 years industry experience.
- Must have experience selling brands.
- Proven track record of sales management success.
- Demonstrated success in building effective teams.